The 15th Annual Polyester & PET Chain World Congress
21:30 PM | July 13, 2010 | Crystal Jarvie
July 12, 2010, Zurich, Switzerland
The global Polyester & PET industries, with a current production capacity of around 59 mill tons/annum, have grown rapidly in recent years to become the second most important thermoplastic resin product family after Polyethylene.*
The 15th Annual Polyester/PET Chain World Congress (29 November – 1 December; Zurich) brings together industry leaders from Europe, Asia and the Americas to focus on the new technology, product and application directions needed to sustain growth and maintain profitability as markets recover from the effects of the financial crisis and the economic downturn.
PET demand growth has not kept pace with capacity increases and today the virgin product requirement is approximately 49 mill tons/a, made up of about 31 mill tons/a for fiber/yarn and 18 mill/a for packaging applications.
Additionally nearly 6 mill tons/a of reprocessed R-PET has been re-entering the global markets, although the availabilty of R-PET is now becoming constrained by the limited supply from post-consumer collection systems. *
Global markets, whilst maturing in recent years from high growth, premium priced specialities to now competing with commodity plastics, are further faced with low operating rates for PX, PTA and Polyesters. Rationalization and diversification have become inevitable, with larger plant capacities continually offering lower investment costs along the value chain. The paradigm shift towards Asian Polyester production continues, but often lack of back-integration is today a major challenge to both Western and Eastern producers.
The conference, organized by MBS Polymer, Chemical Week and SRI Consulting presents expert speakers, hard-hitting technical discussions and key business and market developments including:
- Evolution of Polyester markets, supply/demand balances & pricing scenarios.
- Regional markets, business environment and growth in Asia, Americas, Europe, Mid-East/Africa.
- Forecasts on feedstocks and intermediates, PX-MEG-PTA-PET supply chain dynamics and outlook.
- Updates on polymer process technologies.
- Innovations in catalysts, additives, nano materials and polymer modifiers.
- Trends in global textile markets and applications for synthetic fibres.
- Recent advances in film, sheet & moulding, processing and applications.
- Trends in the packaging needs of end users and brand owners.
- Growth opportunities in packaging, fibre and engineering applications.
- Packaging trends for drinks, water, beer, milk, juice.
- New polymer developments in PTN, PEN & blends, PTT, PBT for high performance technical applications.
- Impact of global regulations and regional approvals.
- Environmental challenges and opportunities with bio-based materials.
- Pioneering collection and recycling successes.
The two day Congress will be held again this year at the Zurich Swissotel in Oerlikon. Further details are available at www.mbsploymer.com/polyester.
About Maack Business Services
MBS was founded by Horst Maack in 1980, and was for many years co-directed by Konrad Scheidl, both of them ex senior managers with Dow Chemical. Their many years of experience in industrial global polymers and plastics applications has enabled them to provide extensive and in-depth know-how to many plastics businesses around the world. Since the acquisition of MBS by Access Intelligence, Horst has been retained in a management advisory role. The MBS active global data base of 20,000 plastics experts in polymer production, consumption and end-use applications know-how provides unrivaled reach in global markets. MBS has assisted many international clients with extensive project work in developing novel "first ever" plastics applications and has undertaken numerous multi-client applications studies.
To date, more than 5,300 leading presenters have addressed the MBS international congresses, addressing the complete plastics chains in the major thermoplastics, from manufacturing to applications, recycling and end-uses.
About Chemical Week
Chemical Week, part of Access Intelligence, LLC, is the world's leading source of news and analysis for key professionals concerned with the chemicals, petrochemicals, specialty chemicals and related industries. Chemical Week information is available face-to-face, daily, weekly and 24/7 via our websites, weekly print magazine, newsletters, custom publications, online buyers' guides, and conferences. Additional information is available at www.chemweek.com
* Maack Business Services